Global Practice Leader
Michael Roch is an ICG Global Practice Leader.
- A partnership advisor for 20 years, Michael spear-heads ICG’s Extended Enterprise Practice, dedicated to helping senior management teams get the best return from their strategic alliances, international joint ventures and other key partnerships. He also leads ICG’s Professional Services Sector initiative, supporting the needs of law, accounting, consulting, fiduciary, engineering and other professional services businesses as well as related corporate functions
- Michael has helped businesses compete in over 40 countries, primarily in Europe, North America, sub-Saharan Africa and Asia. Michael works with senior management teams to develop sound strategy, to implement that strategy through joint ventures, alliances or M&A, and to maintain a healthy ecosystem of leaders, shareholders and partners. His sector expertise is particularly strong in the “intangible” industries, and this includes the professional, financial and real estate services, technology and energy sectors
- As an entrepreneur, Michael is invested in a small number of technology businesses that support the convergence between consulting and technology, building on his global expertise in performance management systems and partner compensation
- Prior to joining ICG, Michael was a founding partner of KermaPartners, an international consulting boutique with a market-leading reputation within the professional services sector. He served as its CEO from 2009 until entrusting the firm to his partners in early 2016
- Michael started his career as a consultant with KPMG in the early 1990s. He gained his initial appetite for joint ventures, alliances and all other types of partnership in his 10 years as an international corporate lawyer (last with Norton Rose Fulbright in London) before returning to the consulting profession in 2005.
Publications, Academics & Social Impact
- Michael has published and co-authored several dozen books, white papers, studies and articles. Most recently, he edited a text on partner remuneration systems (to appear in October 2016) and co-authored a study on performance management (February 2016)
- Michael is a member of the Association of Strategic Alliance Practitioners and the International Bar Association. Michael currently serves as Co-chair of the Structure & Partnerships Working Group of the IBA’s Law Firm Management Committee
- Michael holds an MBA and Juris Doctor from the University of Denver, USA
- Michael grew up in his native Germany and returned to London in 2001 after fifteen years in the United States. Based in Zurich today, Michael is fluent in English and German and has had exposure to French, Portuguese, Russian and Slovenian. Michael is an avid skier and scuba diver; he’s continually getting better at playing golf and the Saxophone (not at the same time).